Swimming Pool installation or construction requires permits and inspections to ensure its safe use. All swimming pools require a barrier please review this document prior to your permit submission.
All swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas require a Residential Accessory Building Permit. The following types of permits could be required depending on the complexity of the project:
Residential Accessory Building Permit for installation and construction
Electrical Permit for all electrical wiring including bonding of metal components in and surrounding the pool area. All pools require an electrical permit.
Mechanical Permit for the installation of pool heaters
Gas Fuel Permit for the installation of gas lines
Plumbing Permit for the connection made to a potable water system
Customers can choose to submit building permits and land disturbance applications in paper or electronic form.
Construction Document Requirements
Submitted construction documents must contain sufficient information for plan reviewers to be able to review the proposed construction work.
In addition to the Residential Permit submission requirements, when constructing or installing a swimming pool, hot tub, or spa you need to submit the following information:
- A scaled Plot Plan
- Pool Type
- Size and location of the pool
- Type of pool decking including size and location
- Wooden deck construction details
- Pool Barrier details including locations of all access gate
Throughout your building permit process and depending upon the extent of the work, you will be required to complete different inspections.
The Minimum Inspections required for a swimming pool.
- Open Ditch Electrical: All underground wiring in or around the pool area
- Bonding Inspection: Before the placement of any concrete in the pool shell or surrounding pool deck or ground area for an above ground pool.
- Electrical Final: All electrical work is complete.
- Building Final: All work is completed and the fence/barrier installed
Permit Technicians: 910-455-3661 from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday
The cost for permits varies depending upon each project.
*Additional permits may be required from other departments.