Avast ye! Onslow County and Swansboro Parks and Recreation Departments proudly present Pirate Fest coming to Downtown Swansboro, NC. Watch as swashbucklers engage in sword fights, witness black powder weapons demonstrations, and listen to musicians sing sea shanties at this all-day event that brings coastal North Carolina's rich pirate history to life. This free family-friendly event also includes games and activities for the little buccaneers. Visitors can enjoy a pirate meet and greet, pirate shows, live music, and much more! Join us on Friday, April 26 for the pirate pre-party; marauder meet and greet, photos with the pirates, and stay for the outdoor movie, Pirates of the Caribbean. For more information please contact Onslow County Parks and Recreation at 910-347-5332 or Swansboro Parks and Recreation at 910-326-2600.
PIRATE FEST ACTIVITIES
FRIDAY, APRIL 26, 7 PM
Pirate Pre-party: Outdoor Movie & Marauder Meet and Greet
Downtown Swansboro, Olde Town Square at Old Town Square **Rain location, Swansboro Town Hall, 601 W. Corbett Ave.
Meet the Pirates of Piratefest on Friday, April 26. Come out to Downtown Swansboro to hang out and take photos with the Pirates and stay for an outdoor showing of Pirates of the Caribbean, Curse of the Black Pearl.
SATURDAY, APRI 27, 10 AM-3 PM
Come keep our shores safe! We have received word that Captain Horatio Sinbad and the MEKA II have set sail for Swansboro. Captain Sinbad, a real merchant adventurer, and the MEKA II will be docked at the Church Street Dock. The MEKA II is a 2/3 – scale replica of a 17th Century, two-masted pirate brigantine armed with eight cannons. It is rumored that the MEKA II will invade Swansboro by water at 11 a.m. View the invasion from Main Street Dock, Church Street Dock, or Church Street Gazebo.
Black Powder Demonstrations: Main Steet Dock
• 11 a.m.
• 1 p.m.
• 2:30 p.m.
The Cannon Crew-Main Street Dock
• 1700’s fishing/pirate camp.
• Learn early fishing techniques using traps, netting, gigs, poles, and harpoons.
• See demonstrations on candle making, carpentry, sewing, and making string and twine.
• Don’t miss the black powder demonstrations!
Sword Conservatory- Across from Olde Town Square
• Pirate/Maritime Historical Combat group demonstrates sword fighting with cutlass and sabre.
• Learn how naval edged weapons were used when one crew boards another ship to take it as a prize and how another crew fought in defense.
• Take an introductory lesson in cutlass fighting and fight a pirate or sailor!
Pieces of Eight: Pirate Village - Across from Olde Town Square
• Tour the pirate village on the hour every hour learning about food and water on the ship, navigational skills, weapons, and treasure!
• Little buccaneers will be greeted by the Captain to learn about cannons and earn some treasure.
Shadow Players Stage Combat Group- Olde Town Square
• Interactive show with sword fighting and bullwhip demonstrations
• Shows take place throughout the day.
Captain Horatio Sinbad and the MEKA II-Church Street Dock
• The MEKA II is a 2/3 – scale replica of a 17th Century, two-masted pirate brigantine armed with eight cannons.
• It is located at Church Street Dock for viewing through the day.
• It is rumored that the MEKA II will invade Swansboro by water at 11 a.m. View the invasion from Main Street Dock, Church Street Dock, or Church Street Gazebo.
Motley Tones- Olde Town Square
• Be on the lookout for a band of buccaneer merrymakers known as The Motley Tones! This musical act will be performing an eclectic mix of period and not-so-period maritime tunes, sea shanties, madrigals, love songs, and children’s songs. Come sing shanty’s with pirates at Olde Town Square. Onslow County Parks and Recreation and Swansboro Parks and Recreation invite you to come on out, and belt a tune!
Lady Swan Boat Tours-Main Street Dock
• Come aboard the Lady Swan for a relaxing and scenic cruise around historic downtown Swansboro
• Tour departs from Main Street Dock at noon and is $7 per person.
Scallywag Scavenger Hunt- Olde Town Square
• There be mischief afoot! Search for Piratefest’s most wanted faces and places.
• Get your most wanted poster from the information booth at the Olde Town Square.
• Turn in your most wanted poster for pirate booty!
• Have a blast watching black powder demonstrations at the Main St. Dock
• Turtle’s Laire Photo Opportunity Experience
• Pirate Author-William Charles Furney, Black Hearts, White Bones
• Face painters
Park and Ride
Take advantage of the free shuttle to downtown. Patrons can park at Ward Farm (behind the Hampton Inn) and take the shuttle to Downtown Swansboro. Location for drop off and pick up is at Swansboro Town Hall. The shuttle will run from 10 AM to 3 PM.