Community Paramedic Program
Onslow County Community Paramedic Program has been serving Onslow County since 2015. We pride ourselves in serving the community in an always evolving higher capacity by connecting resources and educating the public, while working alongside as a support to Emergency Medical Services personnel. Our program has 8 full-time Community Paramedic positions that offer community coverage and 3 full-time Peer-Support Specialist positions.
The Onslow County Community Paramedic Program bridges the gap with substance use and mental health to include assistance into Detox and Rehabilitation centers, inpatient and outpatient treatment centers as well as Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT). We can offer treatment plans to assist through withdrawal symptoms if requirements are met until further assistance is available. We can connect with longer term recovery options.
We address high utilizers of EMS/911 as well as the Emergency Room. We can assist by establishing Primary Care providers or by connecting them with resources to better suit their immediate and long-term needs. As well as educating in proper uses of 911. Helping to meet immediate needs such as food and shelter, we can make valuable bed space in the ER available to true medical emergencies. Also, by assessing these situations we can connect to necessary services, detox and rehabilitation centers as well as mental health care.
We assess for needs in both mental and physical health as well as daily necessities for empowering the community to take charge of their own well-being.
On a daily basis, our Community Paramedics follow-up with patients and respond to 911 calls for mental health and substance use. In 2022, our program made 2,734 follow-up visits to patients for service referral and connection to resources for patients. Of the 670 substance use emergency calls, 344 were opiate related and many were given Narcan. In the same year, 36 individuals were inducted into Medication Assisted Treatment. Community Paramedics have also provided 43 Narcan administration trainings to 974 individuals including law enforcement agencies, first responders and professionals within Onslow County as well as Bystander Awareness Training to citizens.
Let us be the guide to assist you in filling your needs. We can help empower you and your family through education and resources to take charge of your own mental and physical health.
Assist the community, in partnership with local organizations, with building daily living stability, quality, sobriety, and resiliency
The Goals of Community Paramedicine
- Reduce recurring use of EMS and E911
- Reduce recurring use of the Emergency Departments
- Assist with connecting residents with available resources for immediate and long-term needs
- Empower the community to take charge of their own healthcare and well-being
- Assist the community in building daily living quality and stability, sobriety and resiliency
The Services We Provide
- Medication reconciliation between pharmacies and primary care providers
- Medication planning, education and visual instruction on compliance
- In home risk assessments for falls, obstructions, lighting, etc.
- Navigation of community resources based on patient needs
- Education about the seriousness of their conditions and potential consequences
- Accountability and assistance in the daily efforts of making major lifestyle changes
- Ability to provide treatments in the home in the event of an acute increase in symptoms
- Assistance into detox and rehabilitation centers, as well as inpatient and outpatient treatment centers
- Assess mental and physical health needs
- Additional services available
How the Program Works
- Patients must be referred by professionals in the community.
- A Community Paramedic will make contact with the patient following hospital discharge or following referrals.
- Home visits occur with a community paramedic to provide education and service linkage.
Community Paramedic Program Staff
- Stephanie Cain
- Lawrence Clark
- James Whaley
- Tina Starbird
Peer Support Specialists
- Willie Henderson
- Thomas Gillis
- Jalyssa Nava