About Social Services
The Department of Social Services assists Onslow County citizens in meeting their basic daily living needs through financial, nutritional, and medical assistance. The department promotes the well-being of citizens through social work services to strengthen families, protective services to prevent or remedy abuse, neglect or exploitation of vulnerable children and disabled or elderly adults.
- What is guardianship?
- Is the Department of Social Services the preferred guardian?
- Who needs a guardian? Who is an incompetent adult?
- What are a guardian’s financial obligations?
- When does guardianship end?
- What do I do if I have reason to believe a disabled is being abused, neglected or exploited and does not have anyone to access services to protect him?
- Why should I report?
- Will the person find out that I called?
- What information is needed when I call DSS?
- What are some common behavioral indicators that a person may be abused, neglected or exploited?
- What is abuse?
- What are some indicators of abuse?
- What is neglect?
- What are some indicators of self neglect?
- Who is a caretaker?