Mitigation is the cornerstone of emergency management. It is an ongoing effort to lessen the impact that hazards could have on people and property.
Mitigation is defined as "sustained action that reduces or eliminates long-term risk to people and property from natural hazards and their effects." It describes the continuing effort at the federal, state, local and individual levels to lessen the impact of hazards on our families, homes, communities and economy.
Through the application of mitigation measures, technologies and an overall multi-jurisdictional team strategy, Onslow County and its 5 municipalities will ensure that fewer of our citizens and their property become victims of natural hazards.
Mitigation technologies will continue to be used to strengthen critical infrastructure such as:
- Emergency Response Organizations
- Medical Power and Utility Systems
Mitigation measures will continue to be applied to strengthen your home, local businesses and industry through code enforcement so that your family and belongings are better protected from:
- Coastal storms
- Other natural hazards
The Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan includes resources and information to assist county and municipal residents, public and private sector organizations and others interested in participating in mitigation planning and implementation. The plan further provides a list of activities that may assist you in reducing the risk to future natural hazard events.
2021 Southeastern North Carolina Regional Hazard Mitigation Plan
In late 2019 Onslow County and her municipalities joined in with Pender County, New Hanover County, and Brunswick County for the Southeastern Regional Hazard Mitigation Plan.
The 2021 Southeastern North Carolina Regional Hazard Mitigation Plan has been reviewed and approved by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Jurisdictions that are members of the plan are currently working on the adoption processes and once fully adopted the FINAL HMP will be released.
Individual Document Sections
- Section 1: Introduction
- Section 2: Planning Process
- Section 3: Community Profile
- Section 4: Hazard Identification
- Section 5: Hazard Profiles
- Section 6: Vulnerability Assessment
- Section 7: Capability Assessment
- Section 8: Strategy
- Section 9: Mitigation Action Plan
- Section 10: Plan Maintenance Process
- Appendix A: Plan Adoptions
- Appendix B: Planning Tools
- Appendix C: Mitigation Plan Review Tool
- Appendix D: Planning Process Documentation
- Appendix E: Completed Mitigation Actions
- Appendix F: Flood Hazard Maps
- Appendix G: Wildfire Hazard Maps
- Appendix H: NCEI Storm Event Data