During World War Two the Army implemented an arts and crafts program in order to boost soldier morale. This program was first introduced during October of 1941 in Onslow County at Camp Davis in Holly Ridge. These images, part of the George Lee Johnson collection, were created by soldiers stationed at Camp Davis in 1943. They belong to a collection containing several more depictions of camp life as well as artifacts belonging to Johnson while serving in the Army.
To learn more about the Army's Arts and Crafts program visit their website.