News Flash Home
The original item was published from 2/28/2022 12:29:28 PM to 3/2/2023 12:00:01 AM.

News Flash


Posted on: February 28, 2022

[ARCHIVED] Onslow County Museum Turns “Inside/Out”

InsideOut Exhibit Opens

Onslow County Museum is opening a new exhibit called “Inside/Out” which features rarely seen items from the Museum’s collection and archives. Located in the changing gallery, this yearlong exhibition will feature different artifacts each month.

“The Museum is the keeper of thousands of objects. While the permanent, THE WATER AND THE WOOD represents approximately 10% of the collection; this exhibit will showcase the other 90%,” Onslow County Museum Director Lisa Whitman-Grice says.

“Inside/Out” is more than a behind-the-scenes glimpse at the artifacts in the collection. The artifacts in this exhibition represent the people, places, and events that have shaped the story of Onslow County,” said Whitman-Grice. “With each visit to this exhibit, you will see and learn something new about the history of Onslow County.”

In addition to the ever-changing array of artifacts on display, the exhibit will highlight the care that is taken to preserve different types of artifacts. An interactive element of the exhibit is a video tour of the collections area and a “Curator’s Quiz” which challenges visitors to identify unique items from the collection. Programs and special events and activities are also planned in conjunction with the exhibition.

“Inside/Out” is also a return to form for the museum which had seen its doors shuttered for months at a time during the pandemic as staff were assigned other duties amid the response to COVID-19. Those duties have now lessened and the museum is able to resume regular operations.

Onslow County Museum is located at 301 S Wilmington St in Richlands and is open Monday through Friday from 8AM-5PM and on Saturday from 10AM-4PM. Admission is by cash or check only and is $2.14 for adults, $1.07 for children, and kids 3 and under are free. 

Onslow County Museum is proud to be a Blue Star Museum with free admission available to active-duty military and up to five family members with appropriate ID, from Memorial Day to Veterans Day. For more information call 910 324-5008.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Communications

Onslow County Schools Logo

Dixon High School Redistricting

Posted on: May 8, 2023
Horizon 2040

Onslow Horizon 2040 Comprehensive Plan

Posted on: January 30, 2023

Fiscal Year 2022-2023 Adopted Budget

Posted on: June 24, 2022