• Tax Office

  • Department:

Vehicle Tax Information

  • Military Issues
  • Blocked Tags
  • Expired Tags
  • Sold Vehicle
  • Wrecked Vehicle
  • Repossessed Vehicle


Military Issues


• North Carolina has a Personal Property Tax on motor vehicles, boats, airplanes, jet skis, motorcycles and mobile homes.
• If you purchase or register a vehicle in North Carolina, three months later you will receive a tax bill.  If you do not claim North Carolina as your Home of Record, you must furnish a current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) to the Tax Office and they will release the charges.
• If your vehicle is titled in your name, and that of a dependent or some other significant person who is not Military, you will be responsible for the tax based on one-half (1/2) of its retail value. You must furnish the Tax Office with a current LES to maintain this exemption.
• Regardless of Home of Record everyone must pay the North Carolina Road Use tax that is collected by the DMV at the time of registration of the vehicle in North Carolina.
• The Tax Office will require that you furnish a current (LES) each year after tag renewal to ensure that you are still eligible for the exemption.
• If you lease a vehicle from a Company such as Navy Federal or Ford Motor Credit they will be billed initially for the tax and depending on your lease agreement with these companies, you will be held liable for the taxes.  The lease companies are a business entity and cannot claim your exemption.
• If you have paid personal property taxes and have not notified the Tax Office of your Military Non Residence Status please contact the office and ask if you would qualify for a refund.

If you have any questions concerning Taxation of Motor Vehicles, or any other personal property, you are encouraged to contact the Onslow County Tax Office at 910-989-2201. You can also email questions to Betty_Brown@onslowcountync.gov. The Office is located at 234 NW Corridor Blvd, Jacksonville, NC 28540.  We look forward to helping you resolve any questions that arise.

best way to avoid this situation is to pay the tax bill in a timely manner. This also saves money in the form of additional interest charges. Once the tag is blocked, personal checks are not accepted for payment.

Expired Tags

If tags are not renewed but the taxpayer retains the vehicle, the vehicle must be listed as an untagged vehicle during the next January listing period.

Sold Vehicle

Taxpayers who sell or otherwise dispose of their vehicle may be entitled to a prorated refund of taxes paid. In order to obtain a refund (or release of unpaid taxes), the taxpayer must present a copy of the receipt received from the DMV accepting surrender of the registration plates. This must be done within one year of the surrender date. This process also applies when an owner moves out-of-state and registers the vehicle in another jurisdiction.

Wrecked Vehicle

In the event that a vehicle is declared to be a total wreck, the taxpayer may be entitled to a refund if the tag and title is surrendered. In the event of this situation, taxpayers should contact Betty Brown, Listing Supervisor at 910-989-2201, or Betty_Brown@onslowcountync.gov.

Repossessed Vehicle

In the event of a repossession, taxpayers should contact Betty Brown, Listing Supervisor at 910-989-2201, or Betty_Brown@onslowcountync.gov to determine if a release or refund is possible.