• Register of Deeds

  • Department:

Vital Records

Duplicate Copy Requirements:

In Office:  For Birth, Death, & Marriage certificates you must be an immediate family member of the individual. There is a $10.00 fee; payable by cash, local bank check or credit card (Visa, Master Card, Discover, Diners Club or JCB only). You must present a photo ID in order to obtain the certificate.

By Mail:  For Birth, Death & Marriage certificates by mail, you must send a request with the name or names involved (including mother's maiden name for birth), date of birth, death or marriage and the number of certificates you are requesting.  Send this request, along with $10.00 for each certificate requested, to Register of Deeds, 109 Old Bridge Street, Jacksonville NC 28540.  Payment must be by cash, or money order. We are not able to accept any checks through the mail. If you send a check, your request will be rejected and mailed back to you.  Please make money order payable to Register of Deeds.  Please include a copy of your photo ID and a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your request.

Via Internet: To order certified copies of vital records through the internet please go here.

Email, Fax, or Phone: The Onslow County Register of Deeds office does not provide vital records via phone, email or fax. 

Military Discharges are only in our office if you personally brought them in and registered the discharges. You must present a photo ID. There is no charge for the certified copies. The following people can request a DD214:

  1. By veteran or veteran’s widow/widower (present death certificate)
  2. By a court representing veteran (present court order)
  3. By veteran’s executor acting on behalf of deceased veteran (present Letter of Testamentary)

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Who can obtain a certified copy of my vital record?

A: You, your current spouse, your sibling, your child or grandchild, your parent or grandparent, your authorized agent, your attorney, your attorney in fact. Your death certificate can also be obtained by those seeking information for legal determination or property rights.

Q: I was born in Onslow County and later adopted. How do I obtain my birth certificate?

A: Birth Certificates of individuals who were adopted are not available from our office and they are not available through Vitalchek.com. They are only available from the NC State Office of Vital Records in Raleigh. You can contact them at 919.733.3526. 


Requests for Vital Records (Requests in the mail must be accompanied by a photocopy of a picture ID, a self addressed stamped envelope & $10 cash or money order)


  • Request form for DD214 (Requests in the mail must be accompanied by a signed, notarized letter, a self addressed stamped envelope & a photocopy of a picture ID)