General and Major Permits

Major Permits are necessary for activities that require other state or federal permits, for projects that cover more than 20 acres, or for construction of more than 60,000 square feet.  Applications for major permits are submitted to the State and are reviewed by ten state agencies and four federal agencies before a permit is issued. 

General Permits are used for routine projects that usually pose little or no threat to the environment, and are issued by the state for water-dependent structures.


Onslow County is served by the Morehead City and Wilmington Division of Coastal Management District Offices: 

Morehead City District Office


Serves Onslow County north of the New River

400 Commerce Ave.
Morehead City, NC 28557
(252) 808-2808 or 1-888-4RCOAST (1-888-472-6278)
Fax: 252-247-3330

Wilmington District Office

Serves Onslow County south of the New River

127 Cardinal Drive Ext.
Wilmington, NC 28405-3845
(910) 796-7215
Fax: 910-395-3964

For more information on CAMA permit types, please visit: 

Coastal Management Permits

DCM Offices and Program Areas

DCM Offices