Programs for School-Age (K-5)
Sloop Troop (GR 2-5)
Explore a monthly theme each week with different activities, crafts, books and games! Themes will be Dr. Suess (March), Our Planet (April), and Country Celebrations (May)
- Sneads Ferry: Thursdays at 2 PM
COMMUNITY WELLNESS GARDEN
Explore gardening as a family with these great programs to teach all ages how to work with gardens!
- Jacksonville: May19, 4:30 p.m.; All Things Tomatoes. Registration required.
Summer Reading Kickoff - All Ages
Onslow Pines Park
June 11; 9-11 a.m.
Kickoff summer reading with a morning of fun! Join the library with various other community partners like Possumwood Acres, the Sheriff’s Department and more. Activities, crafts, music and dance parties will fill the day while you have fun and get registered for the Oceans of Possibilities 2022 Summer Reading Program. Register online after June 1 at ocpl.readsquared.com.
Animal Senses - Family Program
- Richlands • July 7; 2 p.m.
- Sneads Ferry • June 29; 10:30 a.m.
- Swansboro • July 27; 2 p.m.
Jamie McIntire from Sturgeon City will be teaching us about animal senses!
Beach Safety - Family Program
- Richlands • July 21; 2 p.m.
Special Presenter- Eric Heden, NWS in Newport: Coastal issues and beach safety
Boating Safety - Family Program
- Swansboro • July 13; 2:30 p.m.
Join us as members of the United States Coast Guard to teach us about boating safety (geared to older elementary, teens, and adults).
Fossils! - Family Program
- Jacksonville • July 9; 10 a.m.
- Richlands • June 16; 2 p.m.
- Swansboro • June 29; 2:30 p.m.
Lisa Whitman-Grice from the County Museum will be teaching us about fossils!
Recycle, Reduce, Reuse - Family Program
- Richlands • June 30; 2 p.m.
Join Katie Proffitt, and learn the Oceans of Possibilities from Recycling, Reducing, Reusing, and Air Quality!
Setting Sail for Adventure - Grades K-5
- Sneads Ferry • Every Wednesday, June 15-July 27; 10:30 a.m.
Head to Sneads Ferry for weekly programs like, “Scales, Shells and Tails Tales,” and “Humor on the High Sees” Each week, children will explore different games and activities!
Summer Art Series - Grades K-5
- Richlands • Every Tuesday, June 14-July 26; 10 a.m.
Grades K-5 Weekly Art Program. Themed art projects each week.
Waves of Artistic Wonders - Grades 4-6
- Sneads Ferry • June 15-July 27; 2:30 p.m.
Each week we will use different art mediums and techniques using the ocean as inspiration to create wonderful works of art.
- Jacksonville • July 15; 10 a.m.
Enjoy learning about weather and hurricanes from the WITN meteorologist, Charlie Ironmonger
What is Taxidermy? - Family Program
- Richlands • July 14; 3p.m.
What is a Taxidermist? What does a skull look like? How do beetles play a role in Taxidermy? Come and meet Barney Taylor to learn more.
- Richlands • Aug. 10; 11 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Families can join us for fun activities just in time for the end of Summer and the beginning of school. Sponsored by the Richlands Teen Advisory Board, donations for the Ice Cream Social portion of this event can be dropped off during June and July at any OCPL location during business hours.
Bad Art Night!
- Jacksonville • July 14; 6 p.m.
Recreate famous artwork using leftover craft supplies provided by the library.
Community Wellness Garden: Seed Starters
Jacksonville • Every Wednesday, June 15-July 27; 4 p.m.
In partnership with HomeGrown NC and Onslow County NC Cooperative Extension EFNEP, a series of summer garden programs will be offered for families. Work with hydroponics, vertical garden towers, and outdoor garden beds while learning about nutrition and wellness!
EcoEXPLORE at the Farmer’s Market!
- Onslow Pines Park (Kickoff) • June 11; 9-11 a.m.
- Onslow MultiComplex • July 23; 9 a.m.-12 p.m.
Meet us for ecoEXPLORE activites at the Summer Reading Kickoff June 11 and the Discovery Gardens July 23! You can earn badges, activities and prizes by registering at ecoexplore.net. Check out discovery packs and programs all year long!
Exploring with Dad - Family
- Sneads Ferry • June 18; 10:00am
Kids are encouraged to invite Dad to an EcoEXPLORE themed event which promises to have participants asking for s’more!
Back to School Bingo – School Age
- Sneads Ferry • August 18; 5 p.m.
School-age patrons can earn school supplies by having fun playing BINGO!
Family Lego - Family
- Richlands • Every Monday, June 13-July 25; 10 a.m.
Monday Lego challenges. Different challenge each week.
Full STEAM Ahead – School Age
- Richlands • Every Friday, June 17-July 29; 10 a.m.
Families will have a blast exploring and participating together with weekly projects and hands-on experiments.
Abstract Art Class - Grades 4-6
- Jacksonville • June 30, July 28, August 25; 4:00pm
Tweens will explore their creative side through abstract art.
Novel Encounters - Grades 1-5
- Swansboro • Every Tuesday, June 14-July 26; 2:30 p.m.
An out-of-the-box program for kids to use their imagination, explore STEM, music, movement and more for readers and non-readers alike.
Spill The Tea Mystery Book Club - Grades 4-6
- Jacksonville • June 9, July 7; 4:30 p.m.
Tea will be served as late elementary & early middle school students spill their thoughts on mysterious books and discuss ideas and theories together.
Summer STEAM - Grades K-5
- Jacksonville • June 16, July 15, August 18; 1 p.m.
Children will learn about Newton’s Laws of Motion by engineering their own Newton’s Cradle, creating art with pendulums, and holding slingshot car races.
Sensory Slime DIY - Grades K-5
- Jacksonville • July 7; 12 p.m.
Kids from Kindergarten through fifth grade will have fun and de-stress by learning to make sensory slime!
Books & Barks - Grades K-5
- Jacksonville • June 18; 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Sign up and read to the dogs! Love on the leash is back and ready to read!
Elementary Basic Sewing - Grades 3-5
- Jacksonville • June 15; 12:30 p.m.
Teaching children how to do a basic life skill is never too early. Learn to do basic sewing
Wellness Lab - Grades 4-6
- Jacksonville • June 30, July 28, August 25; 5:30 p.m.
Tweens will learn about relaxation and calming techniques such as yoga, meditation, and deep breathing.