The Onslow County Citizen Academy will take place each Tuesday, beginning September 25, 2018, and run through October 30, 2018, from 4:00 pm - 6:30 pm. The Onslow County Citizen Academy is designed to offer County residents a chance to learn more about Onslow County Government, and many of its departments and services. This Academy also benefits those who are interested in becoming more involved in local government and its activities.
The Academy provides an opportunity to learn more about the functions of County government and offers an up-close view of County operations. The program also helps increase transparency and is intended to develop closer relationships between residents and County officials.
This fall, the Citizens Academy will offer each of the following:
- Evening One: Government Center tour and a trip to the Senior Center, for a closer look at Administration, Tax, Finance, Veterans Services, Communications, Senior Services and Cooperative Extension.
- Evening Two: A behind-the-scenes look at the Landfill and Garage, and a special presentation by Soil and Water.
- Evening Three: Participants will visit the Museum and Environmental Education Center, and learn more about museum, library and the unique history of Onslow County.
- Evening Four: The Airport will be center-stage for an interactive, behind-the-scenes tour and experience, including the Airport Fire and EMS Station. Participants will also learn more about the Parks & Recreation Department and the many programs offered.
- Evening Five: Participants will tour the Sheriff’s Office and Consolidated Human Services, learning about the County’s law enforcement efforts, the jail, Department of Social Services, Public Health, Child Protective Services and other essential components of human services.
- Evening Six: The final night will be at the Emergency Operations Center, where participants will learn about disaster preparedness, Emergency Medical Services, Fire and Rescue, the 911 Telecommunications Center, Geographic Information Services and Animal Services.