How to File a Complaint

How to file a complaint:

If you or your loved one has a complaint about the adult or family care home where he/she is living, consider doing the following:

  • Discuss the concern with facility staff.
  • Work your way up the chain of command if you have to, but make sure that your concern is heard.
  • Give facility staff an opportunity to address the problem.

If you are not satisfied with the results, don’t give up; take your concern to one or more of the following people/groups below:

Complaint Intake Unit with the Adult Licensure Section at the Division of Health Service Regulation (DHSR)

The Complaint Intake Unit is available to receive complaints regarding the care and services provided to patients/residents/consumers by health care facilities/agencies/homes licensed by the Division of Health Service Regulation.

Complaints may be shared with the unit by telephone, fax, or postal mail. The DHSR Complaint Intake Unit is only able to investigate complaints regarding incidents that have occurred in the past year and issues that are regulated by federal regulations or state statutes.

Complaint form is available for written complaints but is not required to be used.

Complaint Hotline: 1-800-624-3004 (within North Carolina) or 919-855-4500.

Fax: 919-715-7724.

Mail: 2711 Mail Service Center, Raleigh NC 27699-2711.

The hours are Monday-Friday (except Holidays) 8:30am to 4pm. 

In Onslow County, the Adult Homes Specialist is:

Alexandra Casemore,  Adult Services, 910-219-1902.

Regional Long-Term Care Ombudsman with the Agency on Aging

Community Advisory Committee members are volunteers who are appointed to work with the Ombudsman to protect the rights of residents living in long term care facilities.

They are training by the Ombudsman, and regularly visit facilities to talk with residents, family members, and to facilitate communication with staff and the surrounding community.

Please contact: 

Angela Pridgen, Lead Regional Ombudsman

252-638-3185 X3007, cell 252-229-4779

Colby Smith, Regional Ombudsman

252-638-3185 X3010, cell 252-514-1390

Or call the Ombudsman Toll-Free Hotline at 1-800-310-9777