Eligibility & Enrollment


Eligibility and Enrollment

WIC is available to pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum women, infants and children up to age five. To participate, these persons must:

  • Live in North Carolina.
  • Have a family income less than 185% of the U.S. Poverty Income Guidelines. A person receiving Medicaid, Work First Families Assistance (TANF), or assistance from the NC Food and Nutrition Services automatically meets the income eligibility requirement.
  • Be at nutritional risk. A nutritionist or other health professional makes the nutritional risk assessment at no cost to the participant, usually at the local WIC office.

The WIC Prescreening Tool can help determine if you are likely to be eligible for WIC benefits.

What Benefits Does WIC Provide?

  • Breastfeeding Support 
    • Support and education
    • Peer counseling
    • Lactation support
    • Classes and information
  • Healthy Foods
    • Fresh fruits and vegetables
    • Milk, cheese & more
    • Cereal and other grains
    • Peanut butter, beans, and more
  • Nutrition Education
    • Shopping guidance
    • Prenatal nutrition tips
    • Kid-friendly recipes
    • Personalized nutrition counseling
  • Care Beyond WIC
    • Connection to the healthcare community 
    • Referrals to resources like Immunization services, substance abuse counseling, domestic abuse counseling, and Social Services
    • Community resources 

How Do I Apply?

To schedule an appointment or to speak with a WIC representative, please call (910) 347-5002. Military families are welcome to call (910) 353-0022.

What Do I Bring to My Appointment?

  • You will need to bring proof of identification document for you and your child(ren)
    • Examples: Valid driver's license, Social Security card, current work/school ID, current Medicaid card, current military ID, birth certificate, immunization record, and for infants: hospital crib card, ID bracelet or mother’s verification of facts form.
  • You need to bring one proof of residence document (where you live).
    • Examples: Current utility bill, valid driver’s license, current Medicaid card (or presumptive eligibility form), bank statement, current rental or mortgage receipts, or Division of Motor Vehicle ID card.
  • You will need to provide household income.
    • Examples: Current paycheck stubs, if self-employed your recent tax return or history of earnings for the past twelve months, current Medicaid card, a letter of certification for the NC Food and Nutrition Services, a letter from your employer stating gross income and frequency of pay, or unemployment letter/notice.