Teen Events & Programs
MORE THAN PICTURES (GR 6-8)
Read a new graphic novel each month and discuss it over snacks. The first 5 signups will receive their own copy to keep!
- Jacksonville: 4 PM
- May 18: Calamity Jack by Shannon Hale
Come for fun and friendship! Themes will vary depending upon group interest. Ages 13-18.
- Swansboro: May 19; 5 PM
TEEN VOLUNTEER ORIENTATION
Our teen volunteers are a valuable resource in our library system. Earn SAT and Junior Honor Society hours, learn new skills, and give back to your community.
- Jacksonville, Richlands, Sneads Ferry:
- Call the branch to schedule a 1:1 orientation.
Summer Reading Kickoff - All Ages
- Onslow Pines Park
- June 11; 9-11 a.m.
Kickoff summer reading with a morning of fun! Join the library with various other community partners like Possumwood Acres, the Sheriff’s Department, and more. Activities, crafts, music, and dance parties will fill the day while you have fun and register for the Oceans of Possibilities 2022 Summer Reading Program. Register online after June 1 at ocpl.readsquared.com.
Teen Volunteer Orientation – Grades 6-12
- Jacksonville • call the branch for 1:1 orientation
- Richlands • call the branch for a 1:1 orientation
- Sneads Ferry • call the branch for a 1:1 orientation
- Swansboro • June 1, July 6, August 3; 4 p.m.
Teens can volunteer at the library to earn SAT, NHS, or other community service hours for school or for fun!
Teen Advisory Board (TAB) – Grades 6-12
- Jacksonville: June 1, July 6, August 3; 4 p.m.
- Richlands: July 6, August 3; 3 p.m.
Be the voice in your library! Come and share your ideas with other teens on programs, books, and more while you earn service hours. Snacks will be provided.
T.L.C. - The Library Club for Teens – Grades 6-12
(Formerly Teen Scene)
- Swansboro • Every Thursday, June 16-July 28; 5 p.m.
The program where you help decide the activities for your group. Friendship and fun!
Trivia Night – Teens & Adults
- Sneads Ferry • July 21; 5:00 p.m.
Challenge yourself and others’ knowledge of little-known facts at our Trivia Contest! Persons aged 12 and up will be teamed with other participants for a fun evening of cranial craziness.
Virtual Reality Fun - Grades 6-9
- Sneads Ferry • Every Thursday, June 16-July 28; 2:00 p.m.
Invite friends for some Virtual Reality fun and games.
Toastmasters Youth Leadership Program
- Every Wednesday
- June 8-July 27; 2 p.m.
Teens! Join us for an 8-week certificate program to learn skills like public speaking, preparing and giving speeches, impromptu talks, and more.
The Big IDEA Book Club - Grades 9-12
The summer is known for beautiful days at the beach and endless sunshine, but what if your summer was interrupted by a random event? Join us this summer in reading about adverse situations experienced by different groups and how they overcame them in these graphic novels.
- June 9; 4:30 p.m.
- Run: Book One, by: John Lewis
- More info at: bit.ly/runjohnlewis
- July 14; 4:30 p.m.
- Kindred, by: Damian Duffy
- More info at: bit.ly/kindredduffy
- August; Take Home Kit
- Maus II, by: Art Spiegelman
- More info at: bit.ly/maus2spiegelman
Teen Summer Reading Program - Grades 6+
- Richlands • Every Wednesday, June 15-July 27; 2 p.m.
Grades 6+ Weekly Teen Program with themed projects.
Teen Pom-Pom Crafts - Grades 6-12
- Jacksonville • June 21; 2 p.m.
Learn to make yarn pom-poms to use on bookmarks, keychains, and more!
Shark Week Party - Grades 6+
- Jacksonville • July 26; 2 p.m.
Join us in celebrating Shark Week with fun activities and crafts.
Virtual Reality Sea Adventure - Grades 6+
- Jacksonville • June 28; 2 p.m.
Come along and experience the deep sea through virtual reality.
Food Art Competition - Grades 6-12
- Jacksonville • July 12; 2 p.m.
Sprinkle, mold, blend, and create. Join us in using food to create art that you can eat.
Jar Aquarium - Grades 6+
- Jacksonville • August 2; 2 p.m.
Join us in creating a mason jar aquarium.
Skywarn Presentation - Adults & Teens
- Swansboro • June 16; 5-7 p.m.
Eric from the NOAA Weather Station in Newport will be teaching us about observing and reporting severe weather! This is a program you won’t want to miss. For adults and teens.